Law Office of Sonia M. Frontera - Naturalization

Application For US Citizenship

Naturalization is the process by which US citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). You may qualify for naturalization if:

  • You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements.
  • You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a US citizen. Please visit the For Spouses of U.S. Citizens USCIS page for more information.
  • You have qualifying service in the US armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements. Visit the Military section of USCIS’ website for details.
  • Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a US citizen, the child was born outside the US, the child is currently residing outside the US, and all other eligibility requirements are met.

In addition, you will have to demonstrate that you have been a person of good moral character, meet the physical US residency requirements and pass the naturalization test.

Expedited Processing For Military Personnel

If you are currently on active duty within any of the branches of the US armed forces, you and your spouse may qualify for expedited processing of your application for US citizenship. You may also be interviewed and naturalized overseas at certain US embassies, consulates, and military installations, and you may request overseas processing (also known as consular processing) at any time in the naturalization process.

Please visit the General Path to Citizenship USCIS page for more information regarding the most common paths that allow permanent residents to become citizens.

We can help you through the naturalization process, if you qualify. Please contact us to schedule a consultation.

Acquired US Citizenship/ Derivative/ Automatic US Citizenship

If you were born outside the United States to a US citizen parent or parents, you may already be a US citizen depending on the year you were born, your actual legal status, your parents’ previous residency in the United States, and meet all the other requirements.

Please contact us for a consultation to find out if you qualify for this benefit.